Dr. Ciprian Iliescu
Ciprian Iliescu received his BS degree and PhD degree from School of Mechanical Engineering, Polytechnic University of Bucharest in 1989 and 1999 respectively. While pursuing his PhD degree he worked at Baneasa S.A. where he was involved in the design and fabrication of pressure sensors. Between 2001 and 2003 he worked as postdoctoral fellow at NTU, and was involved in projects related to microphone, wafer level packaging of MEMS devices and RF microrelay. Between 2003 and 2017 he was with IBN, Singapore as research scientist and senior research scientist. He was also visiting PI @ IMT Bucharest where he set up the "Micro and Nanofluidic lab". Between 2017 and 2019 he is senior scientist with Bigheart @ NUS, Singapore. From 2019 he is with IMT Bucharest. His current research projects relate to microfluidics for cell culture, self-assembled nanoparticles, point-of care devices, dielectrophoresis, electrical characterization of cells by impedance spectroscopy, and transdermal drug delivery. Dr. Iliescu is co-author of 6 book chapters. Dr. Iliescu is a member of Academy of Romanian Scientists.
Areas of expertise
Bioengineering, microfluidics, micro- and nanotechnology, biomedical devices
- I. Cima, S.L. Kong, I.B. Tan, W.M. Phyo, D. Lee, M. Hu, D. Sengupta, C. Iliescu, et al “Tumor-derived circulating endothelial cell clusters diagnostic for early colorectal cancer”, Science Translational Medicine, vol. 8, issue 345, 2016, 345ra89. (Huge mediatic impact: 15 news stories from 15 outlets, in the top 5% of all research outputs scored by Altmetric-score 174)
- W.H. Tong, F. Yu, J. Yan, X. Hong, N.H. Singh, S.R. Wang, B. Nugraha, L. Xia, E.L.S. Fong, C. Iliescu,* and H. Yu, “Constrained spheroids for prolonged hepatocyte cell culture,” Biomaterials, vol. 80, 2016, pp. 106-120.
- H. Zhang, Y. Xu, Z. Fohlerova, H-L. Chang, C. Iliescu,* and P. Neuzil, “LAMP-on-a-chip: revising microfluidic platforms for loop-mediated DNA amplification,” Trends in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 113, 2019, pp. 44-53.
- C. Iliescu,* G. Tresset “Microfluidics-driven strategy for size-controlled DNA compaction by slow diffusion through water stream,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 27, issue 24, 2015, pp. 8193-8197.
- F.S. Iliescu, D.P. Poenar, F. Yu, M. Ni, K.H. Chan, I. Cima, H. Taylor, I. Cima, C. Iliescu,* “Recent advances in microfluidics methods in cancer liquid biopsy”, Biomicrofluidics, vol. 13, issue 4, art. no. 041503, 2019 (Huge mediatic impact- 10 news stories from 10 outlets, in the top 5% of all research outputs scored by Altmetric-score 65)
- F. Yu, R. Deng, W.H. Tong, L. Huan, N. C. Way, A.I. Badhan, C. Iliescu,* H. Yu, “A perfusion incubator liver chip for 3D cell culture with application on chronic hepatotoxicity testing,” Scientific Reports, vol. 7, 2017, art. no: 14528.
- M. Ni, G. Tresset, C. Iliescu,* Self-assembled polysulfone nanoparticles using microfluidic chip” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 252, issue 2, 2017, pp. 458-462
- H. Zhu, P. Podesva, X. Liu, H. Zhang, T. Teply, Y. Xu, H. Chang, A. Qian, Y. Lei, Y. Li, A. Niculescu, C. Iliescu, * P. Neuzil, “IoT PCR for Pandemic Disease Detection and Its Spread Monitoring” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 303, 2020, 127098 (IF=6.393)
- M. Ni S. Zhuo, C. Iliescu, P.T. So, J.S. Mehta, H. Yu, C. Hauser, “Self-assembling amyloid-like peptides as exogenous second harmonic probes for bioimaging applications,” Journal of Biophotonics, 2019
- L. Alhasan, A. Qi, A. Al-Abboodi, A.R. Rezk, P.P.Y. Chan, C. Iliescu, L.Y. Yeo “Rapid enhancement of cellular spheroid assembly by acoustically-driven microcentrifugation,” ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, vol. 2/6, 2016, pp. 1013–1022