Prof. Mihaela C. Ștefan
Eugene McDermott Professor, University of Texas at Dallas
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Texas at Dallas
Mihaela C. Stefan received her B.S. in Chemical Engineering and Ph.D. in Chemistry from Politehnica University Bucharest, Romania. She joined the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Texas at Dallas in 2007, and she is currently a Eugene McDermott Professor and Associate Dean for Graduate Studies in the School of Natural Science & Mathematics. She also holds a joint appointment in the Department of Bioengineering in the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science. She received the NSF Career Award in 2010, the NS&M Outstanding Teacher Award in 2009 and 2017, the Inclusive Teaching Diversity Award in 2012, the President’s Teaching Excellence Award in 2014, and the Provost’s Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring in 2015.
Areas of expertise
Stefan research group is developing conjugated semiconducting molecules for organic electronics, biodegradable and biocompatible polymers for drug delivery applications, and rare novel catalysts for polymerization of dienes and cyclic esters.
- Gunawardhana, Ruwan; Bulumulla, Chandima; Gamage, Prabhath L.; Timmerman, Adam J.; Udumulle, Chinthaka M.; Biewer, Michael C.; Stefan, Mihaela C. Thieno[3,2-b]pyrrole and benzo[c][1,2,5] thiadiazole donor-acceptor semiconductors for organic field-effect transistors (OFETs). ACS Omega 2019, 4(22), 19676-19682. DOI: 10.1021/acsomega.9b02274.
- Gamage, Prabhath L.; Ren, Yixin; Slape, Coreen M.; Ambike, Iravati M.; Wallace, Adele C.; Fiedler, Anna K.; González, Juan E.; Biewer, Michael C.; Zimmern, Philippe; Stefan, Mihaela C. Oxidative Degradation of Polypropylene Mesh in E. coli Environment. ACS Applied Bio Materials 2019, 2(9), 4027-4036. DOI: 10.1021/acsabm.9b00547.
- Ren, Yixin; Miller, Justin T.; Polderman, Stephanie T.; Vo Trinh D.; Wallace, Adele C. M.; Cue, John Michael O.; Tran, Sarah T.; Biewer, Michael C.; Stefan, Mihaela C. Halide-free neodymium phosphate based catalyst for highly cis-1,4 selective polymerization of dienes. RCS Advances 2019, 9,3345-3350. DOI: 10.1039/C8RA10050K.
- Bulumula, Chandima; Gunawardhana, Ruwan; Yoo, Sang Ha; Mills, Cody R.; Kularatne, Ruvanthi N.; Jackson, Thomas N.; Biewer, Michael C.; Gomez, Enrique D.; Stefan, Mihaela C. The effect of single atom replacement on organic thin film transistors: case of thieno[3,2-b]pyrrole vs. furo[3,2-b]pyrrole. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 2018, 6, 150-158. DOI: 10.1039/c8tc02887g.
- Kularatne, Ruvanthi N.; Washington, Katherine E.; Bulumulla, Chandima; Calubaquib, Erika L.; Biewer, Michael C.; Oupicky, David; Stefan, Mihaela C. Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor (HDACi) Conjugated Polycaprolactone for Combination Cancer Therapy. Biomacromolecules 2018, 19, 1082-1089. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.8b00221.
- Washington, Katherine E.; Kularatne, Ruvanthi N.; Du, Jia; Ren, Yixin; Gillings, Matthew J.; Geng, Calvin X.; Biewer, Michael C.; Stefan, Mihaela C. Thermoresponsive star-like γ-substituted poly(caprolactone)s for micellar drug delivery. Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2017, 5, 5632-5640. DOI: 10.1039/C7TB01291H.
Funded Research Projects
- Functionalized Polycaprolactones for Delivery of Anticancer Drugs, Welch Foundation, 06/01/2019-05/31/2022.
- Tunable Biocompatible and Biodegradable Thermoresponsive Polycaprolactones, NSF (CHE); 08/01/2016-07/31/2020
- Active Neodymium Catalysts for Polymerization of Dienes and Vinyl Monomers, NSF (CHE), 08/01/2016-07/31/2020.
- Developing Hydrolytically Stable Secondary Thiols for 3D Printing, Adaptive 3D Technologies, 08/01/2019-07/31/2020, $50,000