Prof. Kelly Velonia
University of Crete
Department of Materials Science and Technology, University of Crete
Kelly Velonia has received the B.Sc. in Chemistry at the University of Crete. She holds a doctoral degree in Mechanistic Organic Chemistry from the University of Crete. In 2000 she joined the group of Prof. R.J.M. Nolte at the Department of Organic Chemistry of the University of Nijmegen (RUN), The Netherlands, as a post-doctoral fellow. In 2001 she joined the group of Prof. F.C. De Schryver at the Department of Chemistry, University of Leuven (KUL), Belgium, as a post-doctoral fellow and in 2002 returned at the group of Prof. R.J.M. Nolte as a Marie Curie Individual Fellow. In 2004 she joined the Department of Organic Chemistry of the University of Geneva, Switzerland, as an Assistant Professor. In 2007 she was appointed Assistant Professor at the Department of Materials Science, University of Crete (tenure 2010).
Areas of expertise
Bioconjugation, Polymerization, Catalysis, Biomaterials.
Current line of research
The research in the group of K. Velonia focuses on the design, synthesis and applications of novel biohybrid materials with strong emphasis on the development of amphiphilic protein-polymer conjugates and multifunctional bioconjugates. Supramolecular structure-function relationships are being studied aiming at directed biomaterial assembly and in establishing possible biotechnological, biomedical and material applications of protein-polymer supramolecular nanoarchitectures. Focus is also placed on the synthesis and development of nanoassemblies for biotechnological and biomedical applications as well as in catalysis and single enzyme catalysis, aimed at the development of cascade (bio)catalysis systems with a focus on single multi-enzyme particle catalysis.
- Le Droumaguet, B., Mantovani, G., Haddleton, D. M., Velonia, K. “Formation of giant amphiphiles by post-functionalization of hydrophilic protein-polymer conjugates” J. Mater. Chem. 2007, 17, 1916-1922. DOI: 10.1039/b618079e
- Le Droumaguet, Velonia, K. “Click chemistry: A powerful tool to create polymer-based macromolecular chimeras” Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2008, 29, 1073-1089. DOI: 10.1002/marc.200800155
- Le Droumaguet, B., Velonia, K. “In situ ATRP-Mediated hierarchical formation of giant amphiphile bionanoreactors” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2008, 47, 6263-6266. DOI: 10.1002/anie.200801007
- Velonia, K. “Protein-polymer amphiphilic chimeras: recent advances and future challenges” Polym. Chem. 2010, 1, 944-952. DOI: 10.1039/b9py00362b
- Daskalaki, Ε., Le Droumaguet, Β., Gérard, D., Velonia, K. “Multifunctional Giant Amphiphiles via simultaneous copper(I)-catalyzed azide-alkyne cycloaddition and living radical polymerization” Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 1586-1588. DOI: 10.1039/c1cc15075h
- Ioannou, C. P., Ioannou, G. I., Moushi, E. E., Velonia, K., Chronakis, N. “Self-Assembled Giant Vesicles Formed by Type I [3:3]-Hexakis Adducts of C60 Equipped with Enantiomerically Pure cyclo-Monomalonate Addends” Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2015, 4598-4602.DOI: 10.1002/ejoc.201500504
- Kuskov, A. N., Kulikov, P. P., Goryachaya, A. V., Tzatzarakis, M. N., Docea, A. O., Velonia, K., Shtilman, M. I., Tsatsakis, A. M. “Amphiphilic poly-N-vinylpyrrolidone nanoparticles as carriers for non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs: In vitro cytotoxicity and in vivo acute toxicity study” Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 2017, 13, 1021-1030.DOI: 10.1016/j.nano.2016.11.006
- Radu, I. -C., Hudita, A., Zaharia, C., Stanescu, P. O., Vasile, E., Iovu, H., Stan, M., Ginghina, O., Galateanu, B., Costache, M., Langguth, P., Tsatsakis, A., Velonia, K., Negrei, C. “Poly(HydroxyButyrate-co-HydroxyValerate) (PHBHV) Nanocarriers for Silymarin Release as Adjuvant Therapy in Colo-rectal Cancer” Front. Pharmacol. 2017, 8, 508. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2017.00508
- Luss, A. L., Kulikov, P. P., Romme, S. B., Andersen, C. L., Pennisi, C. P., Docea, A. O., Kuskov, A. N., Velonia, K., Mezhuev, Y. O., Shtilman, M.I., Tsatsakis, A. M., Gurevich, L. “Nanosized carriers based on amphiphilic poly-N-vinyl-2-pyrrolidone for intranuclear drug delivery” Nanomedicine 2018, 13, 703-715 [Editor Highlights].DOI: 10.2217/nnm-2017-0311
- Liarou, E., Whitfield, R., Anastasaki, A., Engelis, N. G., Jones, G. R., Velonia, K., Haddleton, D. M. “Copper-Mediated Polymerization without External Deoxygenation or Oxygen Scavengers” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 8998-9002. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201804205